Applications for Purpose, Pride and Success (APPS)
Department: APPS Job Status: Full Time
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt Reports To: APPS Manager
Work Schedule: 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM Position Supervised: None
Intervention Specialist will work in our Applications, for Purpose, Pride and Success (APPS) department as a liaison between youth, parents and teachers providing high-risk youth with strategies for violence intervention and crisis response actions that include responding to specific gang-related confrontation, mediating and diffusing hostile tensions, and promoting conflict resolution and peace by building activities in the community and surrounding neighborhoods. These individuals will work with primarily youth and young adults ages 14-23.
1. Community Intervention Workers will respond to neighborhood, gang, youth and family conflicts within assigned areas using the APPS Neighborhood Violence Intervention process.
2. Mentor and guide youth individually and in groups while using a behavior management system to shape youth behavior.
3. Address conflicts with crisis intervention methods such as verbal de-escalation, reframing strategies, and physical de-escalation techniques, using the least amount of physical intervention necessary.
4. Facilitate youth learning of pro-social, academic, and vocational skills
5. Work with youth to provide gang remediation activities and anti-bullying and violence reduction interventions.
6. Facilitate youth group meetings in the residential unit and elsewhere.
7. Will be responsible for recruitment, transportation and mentoring to a minimum of 50 youth and young adults ages 14 to 23.
8. Link the Client to existing services to meet his/her needs within the community to facilitate substance abuse prevention services as needed.
9. Participate as a community liaison as assigned by the APPS Manager.
10. Observe youth and maintain appropriate daily, weekly and monthly record keeping and document progress every six months.
11. Work with youth to provide gang remediation activities and anti-bullying and violence reduction interventions.
12. Participate in staff meetings, committees, attend professional development conferences, trainings, webinars/seminars as needed to as enhance your knowledge, broaden your horizon and obtain continued education.
13. Performs other duties as assigned to promote the overall mission and vision of CND.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Education: A Bachelor’s degree in the social/behavioral sciences or related field is preferred, or a high school diploma or equivalent with three years of professional experience in the social service field. Bilingual English/Spanish a plus. Must possess a basic understanding of violence intervention and gang awareness and its related problems.
Any combination of training, education, and experience equivalent to considerable (3 – 5 years) full-time employment in progressively responsible counseling or social services, particularly involving youth and gang remediation activity.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications The goal of the intervention is to off ramp people at the early stages of extremist behavior who are identified and referred by law enforcement. Our model is informed by best practices from psychology, and will utilize a strengths-based, systemic, home-and-field-based approach that will produce long-term, sustainable results. High level of interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations and documentation.
1. Ability to analyze, think critically, and solve problems.
2. Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
3. Experience and/or cultural competency with violent extremist ideology and gang affiliation experience.
4. Demonstrated commitment to youth/family/community violence prevention and intervention; preferably as a street outreach worker or similar position.
5. Commitment to learning, creating positive change, and enabling others to learn.
6. Ability to review and understand basic crime data and trends.
7. Strong verbal communication skills
8. Ability to work with diverse population.
9. Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
Proficient in use of personal computer and related software (e.g., Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint) use of office equipment (e.g., fax, copier, printer).
Must possess a valid Ohio driver’s license; must pass a criminal background check and a pre-employment drug screen.
Employee Signature: ____________________________________ Date: ______________
Supervisor/HR Signature: ________________________________ Date: ______________
CND has reviewed this job description to ensure that essential functions and basic duties have been included. It is intended to provide guidelines for job expectations and the employee’s ability to perform the position described. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate. This document does not represent a contract of employment, and CND reserves the right to change this job description and/or assign tasks for the employee to perform, as it may deem appropriate.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org