Community for New Direction
Mental Health Counselor (MHC)
Department: Outpatient Services – Atcheson Job Status: Full Time
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt Reports To: Director, Outpatient Services
Work Schedule: 9:00 AM – 6:00 PM Position Supervised: None
Mental Health Counselor (MHC) position will use a psychotherapeutic method to help others by focusing on culturally competent mental health to individuals and groups to promote optimum mental health on an outpatient basis. Diagnose and provide therapeutic counseling to individuals affected by issues of mental health, trauma and or abuse and emotional health issues.
1. Develops, assigns, and monitors individualized treatment and Continuing Care Plans in cooperation with an Outpatient Treatment Team.
2. Reduce the impact of mental health disorders in the community by providing counseling to clients seeking stability.
3. Completes day-to-day services documentation as required by funders, accreditation bodies, and Community for New Direction.
4. Provides regular updates to referral sources on progress, lack of progress, attendance and treatment outcomes.
5. Counsels with emphasis on prevention of suicide; stress management; problems with self-esteem; and issues associated with aging and mental and emotional health
6. Act as client advocates in order to coordinate required services or to resolve emergency problems in crisis situations.
7. Encourage clients to express their feelings and discuss what is happening in their lives and help them to develop insight into themselves and their relationships with others.
8. Develop therapeutic processes, work with families and help clients define goals, plan action and gain insight.
9. Refer clients to psychologists and other services if needed.
10. Evaluate the effectiveness of counseling programs and clients’ progress in resolving identified problems and moving towards defined objectives.
11. Participate in staff meetings, committees, attend professional development conferences, trainings, webinars/seminars as needed to enhance your knowledge, broaden your horizon and obtain continued education.
12. Performs other duties as assigned to promote the overall mission and vision of CND.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Education: Master’s degree in Social Work, Psychology or related field. With Five (5 years of experience in counseling. Must have an active (LISW or LPCC) Independent Licensure is required. At least three years assessing and diagnosing, counseling and treating mental and emotional disorders is required.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
Knowledge assessing patients’ mental status through observations and then developing treatment plans or making referrals to the appropriate services. Required to provide crisis intervention services to patients who are a danger to themselves or others. Monitor a patient’s treatment progress and keep track of his or her mental status. Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
1. Collaborate with the client to develop treatment plans, identifying and prioritizing problems, goals, and treatment methods.
2. Ability to analyze, think critically, and solve problems.
3. Acts as a positive role model, providing clients with guidance and support.
4. Commitment to learning, creating positive change, and enabling others to learn.
5. Strong verbal communication skills
6. Ability to work with diverse population.
7. Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
Proficient in use of personal computer and related software (e.g., Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint) use of office equipment (e.g., fax, copier, printer).
Must possess a valid Ohio driver’s license; must pass a criminal background check and a pre-employment drug screen.
Employee Signature: ____________________________________ Date: ______________
Supervisor/HR Signature: ________________________________ Date: ______________
CND has reviewed this job description to ensure that essential functions and basic duties have been included. It is intended to provide guidelines for job expectations and the employee’s ability to perform the position described. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate. This document does not represent a contract of employment, and CND reserves the right to change this job description and/or assign tasks for the employee to perform, as it may deem appropriate.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org