Mental Health Nurse
Department: Outpatient – Atcheson Job Status: Full Time
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt Reports To: Director, Outpatient Services
Work Schedule: 9:00 AM – 6:00 PM Position Supervised: None
The Mental Health Nurse provides skilled nursing services and care for patients who are suffering from Serious Persistent Mental Illnesses. Understand the needs of the patient and assist with overcoming stigmas associated with mental health disorders alongside of the patient’s family. And work to help patient understand the source of his/her disorder. Provide treatment to patients and ensure medications are correctly administered. Collaborates with team members within the organization, outside referral sites, and with providers/staff from other metal healthcare settings throughout the County and State. Serious Persistent Mental Illness is a group of severe mental health disorders as defined in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual used by mental health professionals to diagnose clients.
1. Assess patients by discussing with them regarding their mental health issues and draw up the best possible ways to care for them
2. Build a robust and excellent relationship with patients and their families by building trust
3. Listen to patients needs and interpret them accurately
4. Provide treatment to patients and ensure medications are correctly administered or
5. Recommend patients to psychiatrists and psychologists for further examination
6. Assist patients to overcome their mental health problems
7. Assist patients to cope or manage their emotions effectively
8. Prepare patients’ records and maintain the records efficiently
9. Monitor patients progress with their families
10. Ensure the coordination of all related mental health services by conducting risk assessment on patients.
11. Provide education regarding mental illness, physical health concerns, chronic disease management, wellness, relapse prevention and medications to patients, families, care givers and team members
12. Assist patients to develop social skills.
13. In case of patient referral to the Emergency Department or another facility, coordinate care with appropriate staff at the other facility (Mental Health Center, Emergency Department, other Community-Based Substance Abuse and Mental Health Treatment facilities etc.).
14. Promote strict patient confidentiality and right to privacy when handling client records.
15. Become aware of and update community resources that would assist our patients.
16. Attend annual mandatory in-services as designated by CARF, OHIOMHAS, i.e. CPR/1st aid, De-escalation and cultural diversity.
17. Participate in staff meetings, committees, attend professional development conferences, trainings, webinars/seminars as needed to as enhance your knowledge, broaden your horizon and obtain continued education.
18. Performs other duties as assigned to promote the overall mission and vision of CND.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Education: Education/Training: Bachelor’s degree in Nursing or Mental Health preferred, RN with 3 to 5 years’ experience. Current Ohio RN license. Experience in SPMI and community mental health experience preferred. Health assessment skills and coordination and delegation skills necessary.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications Knowledge of community mental health resources, particularly SPMI related resources and supports. Effective verbal, written, and interpersonal skills with ability to interact with providers and team members from various settings. Sensitivity to ethnic, cultural, gender; beliefs, and behaviors. Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, with excellent critical thinking, and problem-solving abilities.
1. Ability to analyze, think critically, and solve problems.
2. Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
3. Utilize a motivational approach to engage individuals in treatment consistent with their stage of change and develop therapeutic relationships with individuals that respect boundaries
4. Assess the individual’s medical and nursing needs and make recommendations for an individual-centered service plan
5. Support to families and clients who are experiencing mental health challenges, some of which can include anxiety, depression, personality, and eating disorders, addiction to drugs or alcohol, and host of other mental health challenges.
6. Strong verbal communication skills
7. Ability to work with diverse population.
8. Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
Proficient in use of personal computer and medical related software (e.g., Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint) use of office equipment (e.g., fax, copier, printer).
Must possess a valid Ohio driver’s license; must pass a criminal background check and a pre-employment drug screen.
Employee Signature: ____________________________________ Date: ______________
Supervisor/HR Signature: ________________________________ Date: ______________
CND has reviewed this job description to ensure that essential functions and basic duties have been included. It is intended to provide guidelines for job expectations and the employee’s ability to perform the position described. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate. This document does not represent a contract of employment, and CND reserves the right to change this job description and/or assign tasks for the employee to perform, as it may deem appropriate.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com