Community for New Direction
Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP)
Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner will evaluate clients, order and interpret diagnostic and laboratory tests, diagnose illness and disease, prescribe medication and formulate treatment plans for clients with dual diagnosis and/or Severe and Persistent Mental Illness (SPMI). The Nurse Practitioner will work in outpatient setting, will perform independently and work as part of a multidisciplinary treatment team. The Nurse Practitioner will have the opportunity to provide pharmacological and non-pharmacological evidence-based therapies to clients.
- Evaluate client’s mental health symptoms to diagnose and create a comprehensive treatment plan with the treatment team.
- Provide client-centered care partnering with clients to promote resiliency and recovery.
- Order and administer screenings and tests; review and interpret test results and referral to additional specialists when appropriate.
- Ensure clients records are kept up to date including test results, medication changes, condition changes, communication with collaborative sources, etc.
- Consult with team members and other healthcare professionals as needed.
- Deliver quality care while complying with company policies, safety regulations, and productivity metrics.
- Provide treatment to clients and ensure medications are correctly administered.
- Provide evidence-based therapies to clients to overcome their mental health concerns and to cope or manage their emotions effectively.
- Monitor clients progress with their families and facilitate family session or couples counseling as needed.
- Ensure the coordination of all related mental health services by conducting risk assessments, screening, and follow-up.
- Provide education regarding mental illness, physical health concerns, chronic disease management, wellness, relapse prevention and medications to clients, families, care givers and team members
- In case of client’s referral to the Emergency Department or another facility, coordinate care with appropriate staff at the other facility (Mental Health Center, Emergency Department, other Community-Based Substance Abuse and Mental Health Treatment facilities etc.).
- Promote strict client’s confidentiality and right to privacy when handling client records.
- Become aware of and update community resources that would assist our client’s recovery.
- Attend annual mandatory in-services as designated by CARF, OHIOMHAS, i.e. CPR/1st aid, De-escalation and cultural diversity.
- Participate in staff meetings, committees, attend professional development conferences, trainings, webinars/seminars as needed to enhance your knowledge, broaden your horizon and obtain continued education.
- Performs other duties as assigned to promote the overall mission and vision of CND.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Education: Master’s degree in Nursing and Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner certification with 2 plus years’ experience. Current Ohio RN and APRN-CNP license. Experience in SPMI and community mental health experience preferred. Mental health assessment skills and coordination and delegation skills necessary.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications Knowledge of community mental health resources, particularly SPMI related resources and supports. Effective verbal, written, and interpersonal skills with ability to interact with providers and team members from various settings. Sensitivity to ethnic, cultural, gender; beliefs, and behaviors. Utilize a motivational approach to engage individuals with their therapeutic relationships and respect boundaries. Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, with excellent critical thinking, and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to analyze, think critically, and solve problems.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Proficiency in medical instruments and equipment
- Prescriptive authorization required
- Disease prevention knowledge required
- Strong verbal communication skills
- Ability to work with diverse population.
Proficient in use of personal computer and medical related software (e.g., Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint) use of office equipment (e.g., fax, copier, printer). Must be familiar with the HER medical charting system.
Must possess a valid Ohio driver’s license; must pass a criminal background check and a pre-employment drug screen.
Employee Signature: ____________________________________ Date: ______________
Supervisor/HR Signature: ________________________________ Date: ______________
CND has reviewed this job description to ensure that essential functions and basic duties have been included. It is intended to provide guidelines for job expectations and the employee’s ability to perform the position described. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate. This document does not represent a contract of employment, and CND reserves the right to change this job description and/or assign tasks for the employee to perform, as it may deem appropriate.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org