Substance Use Disorders/Mental Health (SUD/MH) Counselor
Intervention Specialist will work in our Applications, for Purpose, Pride and Success (APPS) department as a liaison between youth, parents and teachers providing high-risk youth with strategies for violence intervention and crisis response actions that include responding to specific gang-related confrontation, mediating and diffusing hostile tensions, and promoting conflict resolution and peace by building activities in the community and surrounding neighborhoods. These individuals will work with primarily youth and young adults ages 14-23.
- Develops a comprehensive clinical formulation based on completion and/or review of chemical dependency, bio-psychosocial, and related assessments and client’s current functioning.
- Provides chemical dependency and/ or counseling (individual, family, and group), crisis intervention, and chemical dependency education.
- Develops, assigns, and monitors individualized treatment and Continuing Care Plans in cooperation with a multi-disciplinary Treatment Team.
- Provides case management to ensure problems identified in assessment are resolved or appropriate services accessed.
- Documents all clinical procedures.
- Attends and participates in staff meetings, in-service, and other meetings.
- Completes day-to-day services documentation as required by funders, accreditation bodies, and Community for New Direction.
- Provides regular updates to referral sources on progress, lack of progress, attendance and treatment outcomes.
- Provides probation and parole updates on client’s compliance in treatment.
- Must use the DSM-V to diagnose.
- Provides mental health education groups.
- Provides mental health counseling, (Individual, family and group)
- Develops a comprehensive mental health assessment.
- Participate in staff meetings, committees, attend professional development conferences, trainings, webinars/seminars as needed to as enhance your knowledge, broaden your horizon and obtain continued education.
- Performs other duties as assigned to promote the overall mission and vision of CND.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Education: Bachelor’s degree in human service or behavioral science with one (1) year of experience in the field of chemical dependence or mental health treatment with CDCA, LCDC II, LPC or LSW license, or High school diploma or equivalent with LCDCII, LCDC III, or comparable license or certification with Three (3) years of paid full time experience in the field of chemical dependency or mental health treatment. Independent license preferred. Must be knowledgeable of substance abuse trends, 12 step support systems and ASAM criteria for treatment. For providing Mental Health services you must have a minimum of an LPC or LSW.
Utilizes trauma-informed approaches to client treatment and in our organizational model. In the course of their assigned work Counselors also help clients in their recovery from substance use disorder through role modeling, and empathetic trauma-informed support.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
Knowledge of substance abuse and co-occurring disorders – characteristics, assessment, and treatment.
Personal characteristics of maturity and professionalism with a sincere desire to work with recovering individuals.
High level of interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations and documentation.
- Ability to analyze, think critically, and solve problems.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Collaborate with the client to develop treatment plans, identifying and prioritizing problems, goals, and treatment methods.
- Acts as a positive role model, providing clients with guidance and support.
- Commitment to learning, creating positive change, and enabling others to learn.
- Strong verbal communication skills
- Ability to work with diverse population.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
Proficient in use of personal computer and related software (e.g., Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint) use of office equipment (e.g., fax, copier, printer).
Must possess a valid Ohio driver’s license; must pass a criminal background check and a pre-employment drug screen.
Employee Signature: ____________________________________ Date: ______________
Supervisor/HR Signature: ________________________________ Date: ______________
CND has reviewed this job description to ensure that essential functions and basic duties have been included. It is intended to provide guidelines for job expectations and the employee’s ability to perform the position described. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate. This document does not represent a contract of employment, and CND reserves the right to change this job description and/or assign tasks for the employee to perform, as it may deem appropriate.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org