Substance Use Disorders/Mental Health (SUD/MH) Counselor
Department: Outpatient Services – Atcheson Job Status: Full Time
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt Reports To: Director, Outpatient Services
Work Schedule: 9:00 AM – 6:00 PM Position Supervised: None
Substance Use Disorder/Mental Health professional will work with our Outpatient Treatment clients in a welcoming, empathic, hopeful attitude towards people with co-occurring conditions and supports a philosophy of dual recovery of addictions and mental health disorders. Engages and welcomes clients in ways that will convey respect for diversity in a culturally appropriate way. Demonstrates high professional/ethical standards and works well with others as part of the treatment team. Understand and provide a therapeutic trauma-informed approach by being motivating and encouraging to clients who take responsibility for their lives while in recovery.
1. Develops a comprehensive clinical formulation based on completion and/or review of chemical dependency, bio-psychosocial, and related assessments and client’s current functioning.
2. Provides chemical dependency and/ or counseling (individual, family, and group), crisis intervention, and chemical dependency education.
3. Develops, assigns, and monitors individualized treatment and Continuing Care Plans in cooperation with a multi-disciplinary Treatment Team.
4. Reduce the impact of mental and substance use disorders in the community by proving support for clients seeking or already in recovery.
5. Documents all clinical procedures as required.
6. Completes day-to-day services documentation as required by funders, accreditation bodies, and Community for New Direction.
7. Provides regular updates to referral sources on progress, lack of progress, attendance and treatment outcomes.
8. Educate clients to modify behaviors with the intention of full recovery to prevent relapses.
9. Provides mental health education groups, assessments and mental health counseling, (Individual, family and group)
10. Participate in staff meetings, committees, attend professional development conferences, trainings, webinars/seminars as needed to as enhance your knowledge, broaden your horizon and obtain continued education.
11. Performs other duties as assigned to promote the overall mission and vision of CND.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Education: Bachelor’s degree in human service or behavioral science with Three (3) years of experience in the field of chemical dependence or mental health treatment with CDCA, LCDC II, LPC or LSW license, or High school diploma or equivalent with LCDCII, LCDC III, or comparable license or certification with Three (3) years’ experience in the field of chemical dependency or mental health treatment. Independent license preferred. Must be knowledgeable of substance abuse trends, 12 step support systems and ASAM criteria for treatment. For providing Mental Health services you must have a minimum of an LPC or LSW.
Utilizes trauma-informed approaches to client treatment. SUD/MH Counselors will also help clients in their recovery from substance use disorders through role modeling, and empathetic support.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
Knowledge of substance abuse and co-occurring disorders – characteristics, assessment, and treatment.
Personal characteristics of maturity and professionalism with a sincere desire to work with recovering individuals.
High level of interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations and documentation.
1. Ability to analyze, think critically, and solve problems.
2. Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
3. Collaborate with the client to develop treatment plans, identifying and prioritizing problems, goals, and treatment methods.
4. Acts as a positive role model, providing clients with guidance and support.
5. Commitment to learning, creating positive change, and enabling others to learn.
6. Strong verbal communication skills
7. Ability to work with diverse population.
8. Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
Proficient in use of personal computer and related software (e.g., Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint) use of office equipment (e.g., fax, copier, printer).
Must possess a valid Ohio driver’s license; must pass a criminal background check and a pre-employment drug screen.
Employee Signature: ____________________________________ Date: ______________
Supervisor/HR Signature: ________________________________ Date: ______________
CND has reviewed this job description to ensure that essential functions and basic duties have been included. It is intended to provide guidelines for job expectations and the employee’s ability to perform the position described. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate. This document does not represent a contract of employment, and CND reserves the right to change this job description and/or assign tasks for the employee to perform, as it may deem appropriate.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org