Position Title: Substance Use Prevention Specialist
Position Summary: Collaborates with school district personnel to provide substance use prevention services in the school setting. The Substance Use Prevention Specialist will serve as the link between the home, school and community in providing direct as well as indirect services to students, families and school personnel to promote and support students’ academic and social success. The Substance Use Prevention Specialist is responsible for delivering drug/alcohol prevention and early intervention services to students. This position will provide direct services as well as prevention, consultation, and education services in the area of mental health/substance abuse. The Prevention Specialist actively participates in the program planning and development process as well.
Education: Graduate from an accredited college or university with a Master’s Degree in social work, counseling, public health, education, psychology, community development, public administration or closely related field; OR Graduate from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s Degree in social work, counseling, public health, education, psychology, community development, public administration or closely related field
License: Must hold appropriate licensure/credential as required by the State of Ohio to provide prevention services (LSW, LPC, LISW, LPCC, OCPS I, OCPS II): OR Obtain, at minimum, Registered Applicant (RA) through the Ohio Chemical Dependency Professionals Board, with professional development plan to work toward Ohio Certified Prevention Specialist I (OCPS I) credential within six (6) months of hire.
Experience: Minimum of two years’ experience providing prevention/education services. Requires demonstrated knowledge regarding substances and effects on the adolescent population. Knowledge and experience with mental health and drug/alcohol prevention preferred. Individual level intervention counseling experience is a plus.
Skills: Ability to provide and develop child and family prevention services, ability to communicate articulately and effectively, and strong commitment to the coordination of services and working in a team environment.
- Serve as the point of contact for members of community-based coalitions, teams, and task forces in the assigned geographic area.
- Represent agency at designated community, partner agency and systems meetings.
- Provide information to coalitions/school program about substance abuse and mental health prevention programs and resources.
- Coordinate the development of new programming and partnerships that lead to enhanced service delivery models of care.
- Offer technical assistance and training resources to the school prevention program/coalitions/community group(s) in an effort to enhance the ability to prevent substance abuse and mental health disorders.
- Be responsive to requests for prevention services and information throughout the geographic area to provide or make available services to all populations and community-based coalitions, organizations and groups, as appropriate and as resources are available.
- Maintain documentation of services provided in a manner consistent with all regulations and standards of funding and accrediting bodies.
- Assist with the creation and analysis of needs assessment(s) in the designated geographic area.
- Contribute to the development and updating of the Strategic Prevention Framework. Assist with planning, implementation, and evaluation of the Strategic Prevention Framework strategies.
- Prepare and submit the monthly summaries and quarterly reports meeting all report requirements set forth.
- Participate in the development of Quality Improvement Indicators.
- Work with other management staff to ensure that the school based prevention program is compliant with all regulations, standards, and policies of funding and accrediting bodies including ensuring that the prevention programs are operating in accordance with the Ohio Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services prevention and treatment certification standards.
Other Duties: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Classification: exempt Hours Required: variable
Location: Franklin County Supervised by: Director of Youth and Prevention Services
Employee Signature Date
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org